It is highly requested that I make a cake for a country. Well, around the corner comes Argentina, with a really good Dulce de Leche Cake!
You will need…
1/3 cup of butter (the secret),
1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ butter recipe yellow cake mix (talk about product placement!),
a cup of water,
2 teaspoons of vanilla,
a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (can be found in powdered milk aisle),
1 8 oz package of cream cheese,
and 1/2 heavy whipping cream
Preheat an oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure you have a 13 x 9 inch pan (I somehow did) and use PAM or whatever spray you use to spray the bottom of the pan ONLY! Now let’s get the butter cookin’! Heat the butter in a 1 quart saucepan over medium or medium low heat (We have a gas stove so we use medium low) for about 5 minutes, until you see brownish-blackish specks.
After that’s popping, (Ha, get it, popping!) pour it into a electric mixer or a large bowl and cool for 15 minutes. Add the cake mix, browned butter, water, vanilla and eggs. Put the mixer on low or stir quickly the content in the bowl. Oh yeah, guess who I saw?
If you couldn’t see, I saw the band Styx! At the former Woodstock! Okay, now back on topic. After 30 seconds is up, turn the mixer to medium or start to beat slowly for 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into the pan. And guess what, because TWO-morrow is TWO-sday, let’s do TWO photos!
Bake like the cake box wants you to. For me it was 30 minutes, but it could be 35 or 40 minutes. Let it cool for about an hour, so you can have dinner or do whatever you want! Or do the best thing, which is making the frosting! Now, this is easy for electric mixer but not really for whiskers. For electric mixers, simply beat the sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese with electric mixer on high speed about 2 minutes or until blended and smooth, but if you are a whisker, you gotta whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and cream really fast, most preferably to the beat of “Whip It” by Devo. Well, add the heavy whipping cream and continue beating or whisking until it resembles a thick whipped cream. Then, spread on cake
Next up is an Armenian Apricot Jam!
- cup butter (do not use margarine)
- box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ butter recipe yellow cake mix
- cup water
- teaspoons vanilla
- can (13.4 oz) dulce de leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk)
- package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- cup whipping cream
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or spray bottom only of 13×9-inch pan.
- 2 In 1-quart saucepan, heat butter over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, just until golden brown. Remove from heat. Cool 15 minutes.
- 3 In large bowl, beat cake mix, browned butter, water, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes (brown flecks from butter will appear in batter). Pour into pan.
- 4 Bake as directed on box for 13×9-inch pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5 Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat dulce de leche and cream cheese with electric mixer on high speed about 2 minutes or until blended and smooth. Beat in whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Spread frosting over cooled cake. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.